lunes, 26 de marzo de 2012

Harry Potter and My Daughter

By:  Miriam Rizcalla de Cornejo

J.K. Rowling probably never imagined the incredible popularity that her Harry Potter series would get.  Either way, my daughter Melina-12 years old-never imagined the love and fascination that would start the beginning of her reading of the famous master piece.

She started to read the first book and couldn't stop.  There was a unique explosion of anxiety in her to read the second, then the third and so on until the seventh and final book in the collection.

Her passion for reading in general, but specially for Harry Potter, has been so intense that on occasions I hear myself say, "Melina, stop!  Please, you've been reading too long!"  To which she only says, "It's so good, I can't stop..."

Two days ago, she finished the end of the series (her birthday gift) and when there were only two pages left, she never stopped complaining and getting excited.  Excitement, because it was a challenge to read the entire amount of books; and sadness because while ending it, she was ending a series of total adventure.  At the end of the final book, she said, "You have to read these books, ALL of you.  When I'm an adult, there's no way that I won't have my kids read the books."  Then, briefly pausing and thinking out loud, she said in a very sweet voice, "Harry Potter somehow changed my life..."


My daughter is addicted to reading and writing-at seven years old, she wrote her first story-and in these books, she seems to have found an incredible source of inspiration.  According to her, Harry Potter is a true example of imagination, at the highest level!



Today, literally today, without giving herself a tiny amount of rest, she starts a new challenge.  The only thing that she asked for Christmas: Twilight, a collection of four books, that promise to engulf the reader with excitement, adventure, and romance.


If your children like reading, try books like these, because from what I have observed in my daughter, it's worthwhile.  Understandable, she recommended that herself!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario